I was browsing Pinterest for some lunch inspiration the other day when I saw a pin for a taco salad pizza. I haven’t had a taco pizza for a while, and it really got me craving one. There is a local pizza place here that I usually get my taco pizza fix from, but I’ve been trying to eat a lot healthier this year, and their taco pizza is anything but healthy. First of all, they make it with a double crust, because their normal crust isn’t thick enough to hold up all of the toppings. They pile a whole bunch of greasy ground hamburger, taco sauce, onions, green peppers, tomatoes, lettuce and Doritos. The combination of ingredients is truly delicious, but it is very fattening, so I decided to create my own healthier taco pizza right at home.
I’ve been eating Joseph’s lavash bread a lot lately, since they are pretty low in calories, and have lots of healthy things in them like flax, oat bran, and omega-3. They taste pretty good, too!
I started my pizza off by making a double crust just like my local pizza place does. I simply cut one of the Joseph’s lavash breads in half and stacked them on top of each other. Before I stacked them together, however, I spread a layer of low fat refried beans and a little bit of shredded Mexican cheese in between, to give it some flavor, and help the two layers stick together.
After building my double crust, I spread a layer of homemade taco sauce on top, and then sprinkled on some diced onions and more shredded Mexican cheese. I baked the pizza in the oven for about 10 minutes, and when it came out, I topped it off with some shredded romaine lettuce, chopped tomatoes, and instead of Doritos, I used Late July Mild Green Mojo Multigrain Chips. These taste amazing, and are much better for you than Doritos are. They are also gluten free!
Below are the full instructions for making this delicious, healthier version of a taco pizza at home!
- 1 Joseph’s Lavash Bread
- 1/2 cup low fat refried beans
- 3/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- 3 tablespoons taco sauce
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/4 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup Late July Mild Green Mojo Multigrain Chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Cut 1 Joseph’s Lavash Bread in half and place 1/2 on baking sheet.
- Spread refried beans on top of the Lavash Bread that is now on the baking sheet, and sprinkle 1/4 cup shredded Mexican cheese on top.
- Place second half of Lavash Bread on top.
- Spread taco sauce over Lavash Bread.
- Sprinkle onions and remaining shredded Mexican cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Immediately after removing pizza from oven, top with shredded lettuce, tomatoes and chips.
For more Pinterest remakes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Creamy Citrus Power Burst Smoothie by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Thumbprint Flower Pot by Upstate Ramblings
- Fruity Pebbles Treats Recipe by Mom Always Finds Out
- Faux Gilded Easter Eggs by How Was Your Day?
- Flourless Banana Oatmeal Muffins by Food Fun Family
- Strawberry Meringue Dream Clouds by A Day in Motherhood
- Crockpot Ham Recipe by Just 2 Sisters
- Baseball Subway Art Printable by Kids Fun Reviewed
- Tuna Noodle Casserole the Whole Family Will Actually Love by Views from the Ville
- Cocout Oil Fudge by Jen Around the World
- Cheesy Irish Soda Bread by Mom Does it All
- Strawberry Mojito Cupcake Recipe by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Dr. Seuss Hand print Craft: Thing 1 and Thing 2 by Beyond Mommying
- Mini Irish Flag Fruit Skewers for St. Patrick’s Day by Baby Loving Mama
- Beeswax and Coconut Oil Tart Melts by Savvy Saving Couple
- Packing the Perfect Plane Bag by The Guavalicious Life
- Easy Homemade Hand Scrub Recipe by The Socialite’s Closet
- Nail Polish Marbled Coasters by Style on Main
- Easy Breakfast Burrito Recipe with Potatoes by Roasted Beanz
- BLT Pinwheels by Sugar, Spice and Family Life
- How to make Easter Blondie Bites by Mommy Snippets