St. Patrick’s Day is coming up very soon, and it also happens to be my sister’s birthday. I’m not sure what she has to say about it, but having a birthday on a holiday seems pretty fun to me. I have always had a blast celebrating her birthday over the years because I really love going all out with the St. Patrick’s Day theme. I loved to bake her a cake or cupcakes decorated with candy shamrocks, give her gifts that were all green in color, and for many years we would go to McDonald’s to fill our bellies up with a minty shamrock shake, too. This post contains affiliate links and I may earn a commission if you make a purchase after clicking on a link in this post.
Now that my sister and I are older and have children, things are a little different. As a Mom, I know that taking time to pamper yourself is really important, so for my sister’s birthday this year, I made her a gift that she can use to make her tired feet feel a little better – a Green Tea and Peppermint Sea Salt Foot Scrub.
GREEN TEA & PEPPERMINT SEA SALT FOOT SCRUB
This foot scrub is loaded up with some really great stuff for the skin – coconut oil, green tea, sea salt, peppermint essential oil, lemon, and even spinach.This foot scrub smells absolutely incredible. I found myself going back over and over again just to smell it. This foot scrub also leaves the skin feeling so soft and smooth. I just love it! I will definitely be making another batch to keep for myself.
I originally added the spinach to this foot scrub to try to give it a naturally green color, but the green tea kind of overpowered it, so in the end I had to add 2 drops of green food coloring to give it that nice green color. You can absolutely leave the food coloring out if you want to – it will be a sort of white/brown color. The spinach is still really great for the skin, though, as it is full of antioxidants and can help with inflammation, so I decided to just leave it as part of the recipe.
Be sure to use a high quality essential oil like Doterra Peppermint Essential Oil when making this green tea & peppermint sea salt foot scrub.
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves
- 4 green tea with lemon tea bags
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/3 cup coarse sea salt
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops green food coloring (optional)
- Combine water, spinach, 3 of the green tea with lemon tea bags and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to low and simmer for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the liquid has concentrated down to about 2 tablespoons remaining.
- Remove spinach and tea bags from liquid, making sure to squeeze all of the liquid out of them into the saucepan first.
- Allow concentrated liquid to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine sea salt and concentrated liquid.
- Add coconut oil that has been slightly softened.
- Add contents of last tea bag, essential oil, and food coloring, if desired.
Store your green tea & peppermint sea salt foot scrub in an airtight container.
For more St. Patrick’s Day and Irish ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Irish Dublin Coddle Recipe from Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Green Shamrock Gummy Candy by This Mama Loves
- Enjoy a Simple Irish Meal featuring Shepherd’s Pie by Day by Day in Our World
- Irish Skeleton Key Necklace by The Socialite’s Closet
- Mint Shower Scrub Bridal Party Favor by A Bride on a Budget
- Skinny Shamrock Shake by Jen Around the World
- Shamrock Smoothie Creation by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Mint Chocolate Fluff by Mom on the Side
- Leprechaun Hat Cupcakes by Kids Fun Reviewed
- St. Patrick’s Day Wreath – Dollar Store DIY by MommaDJane
- Lucky Rustic Wall Hanging: A Paint Stick Craft by Food Fun Family
- Matcha Pear Green Smoothie by Upstate Ramblings
- Chocolate Avocado Cupcakes by How Was Your Day?
- DIY Shamrock Tree by Simply Southern Mom
- Easy St. Patrick’s Day Brownies by Mom Does it All
- No Bake Mini Mint Oreo Cheesecake by Sugar Spice and Family Life
- Mini Banofee Pie by Beyond Mommying
- Green Smoothies for St. Patrick’s Day by Family Focus Blog
- Leprechaun Bark by sweet lil you
- Good Luck Vintage Cab Ring by Style on Main
- Send Them Out the Door Ready for a Good Day by Beautiful Touches