I made a drastic change in my diet at the beginning of the year, and I’m proud to say that I have been doing very well! I have been eating so much healthier than I used to, and I haven’t even had a cheat meal yet.
One of the things that I gave up at the beginning of the year was baking. I used to bake yummy, fattening treats all the time, and my biggest weakness was sweet breads and cookies. Oh, how I love both of those.
As I was browsing Pinterest the other night, I came across a recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Oatmeal Cookies, and I will admit, I had to wipe a little bit of drool off my chin. They looked so yummy and inviting, and I just wanted to take a big bite out of them.
When I woke up the next day, I still had those darn cookies on my mind. I decided I would try to make something similar, but healthier, that would calm that craving fast! To be honest, the recipe for the cookies isn’t really all that bad, since it calls for whole wheat flour and coconut oil, but if I bake a batch of cookies, I know I am going to be tempted to eat way too many of them.
DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD OATMEAL
I had steel cut oats, bananas, cinnamon and dark chocolate chips on hand, so I knew they would be my working ingredients.
I combined the steel cut oats, water, a sliced banana, and cinnamon in the microwave, and cooked it at 50% power for 5 minutes, until the oatmeal was nice and thick and the bananas were soft and creamy. When I stirred the mixture up, the bananas just sort of melted into the oatmeal, but also left a few chunks for some great flavor and texture.
I transferred the oatmeal to a bowl and added some dark chocolate chips which melted slightly after hitting that hot oatmeal, and voila! I now had a Dark Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Oatmeal, not in cookie form, but it was still delicious and I saved myself from eating a dozen cookies in one sitting. I call that a win!
If you’re looking for a healthy treat to calm a sweet craving you have, give this oatmeal a try. It’s quite delicious! The directions are listed below.
- 1/3 cup steel cut oats (3 minute)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 medium ripe banana (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- Combine oats, water, cinnamon, and banana slices in a deep microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave at 50% power for 5 minutes.
- Stir to combine.
- Top with dark chocolate chips.
And there you have yourself a quick and easy, and wonderfully delicious treat! Enjoy!
For more Pinterest remakes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- Berry Sipper Mocktail by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Starbucks Cup Gift Card Holder by Homemaking Hacks
- Ice Lanterns by Upstate Ramblings
- Lip Scrub by Mom Always Finds Out
- The Best Homemade Vanilla Extract by How Was Your Day?
- The Best Crockpot Chili Recipe by Food Fun Family
- Vintage Cheddar and Gruyere Mac and Cheese with Polish Kielbasa by A Day in Motherhood
- Flourless Brownies with Craisins and Pistachios by Day by Day in Our World
- DIY Hot Chocolate Mix Recipe by Just 2 Sisters
- Tiger Nut Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies by Home and Garden Cafe
- Bang Bang Chicken by Jennifer Sikora
- Frozen Banana Yogurt Peanut Dog Treats by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Garlic Monkey Bread Recipe by Gator Mommy
- Homemade Vanilla Orange Mint Sugar Scrub by Baby Loving Mama
- Valentine’s Day Strawberries by Sizzling Eats
- All Natural 2 Ingredient Lip Gloss by The Socialite’s Closet
- Pantry Tomato Pasta by The Guavalicious Life
- How to Make Strawberry Pecan Bread by Mommy Snippets