It’s only mid-January, but I have Valentine’s Day on my mind already. I am a big fan of the holiday. I don’t really get all caught up in the hype of it, but I do like to have an excuse to get a little romantic with my husband and rekindle our relationship.
John and I never go out to celebrate Valentine’s Day, but we always have a really nice dinner at home that we cook together, with wine, candles, etc. We usually do something fun like play a board game and then watch a movie together. It’s so nice to spend the evening just relaxing and bonding.
I don’t usually decorate the house for the holiday, but we bought our house in May last year, and I was thinking of making some sort of decoration that I could put out year after year to celebrate that. As I was browsing Etsy, I came across a really cute Valentine’s Day sign that said “Love Lives Here” on it and I fell in love with it.
Later in the day, I went shopping at AC Moore with my sister, and as soon as I saw this unfinished wooden craft house with that little picket fence, I knew what I wanted to do with it.
Here are the supplies I grabbed from AC Moore:
- Unfinished wooden craft house
- Small wooden heart
- Red heart embellishment
- Mod Podge
- Paint brushes of assorted sizes, including one for fine detail work
- Apple Barrell acrylic paints in flag red, bimini blue, white and black
- Valentine’s Day themed scrapbook paper
- Black sharpie
The first thing I did was paint the whole house. I painted the walls in flag day red, the trim, window and pieces on the door white, the door bimini blue, and the chimney black.
Next, I measured the sections of the roof and cut out pieces scrapbook paper just a tad wider than the sections so they would overhang a little.
I glued the scrapbook paper pieces onto the roof sections with mod podge.
Next, I wrote “Love Lives Here” on the fence with a black sharpie and added a heart embellishment on the door where the knob should be.
I had painted a wooden heart white, and tried to write our last name and the year we bought our house, but I couldn’t get it to look quite right, so I printed it out on some paper and glued it onto the heart instead.
I am really pleased with how cute this little decorative house came out, and it’s something I can look forward to setting out year after year!
For more Valentine’s Day ideas, visit a few of my favorite bloggers:
- How to Make Rose Water by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- A Valentine’s Day Breakfast by The Guavalicious Life
- Salted Caramels by How Was Your Day?
- Valentine’s Day Krispies Treats by This Mama Loves
- Homemade Strawberry Syrup for Flavorful Delights by Day by Day in Our World
- Pom Pom Valentine’s Day Craft for Kids by Our Family World
- French Vanilla Raspberry Italian Cream Soda by Pretty Opinionated
- Epsom Salts DIY Valentine’s Candles by A Day in Motherhood
- Chocolate Honey Lip Scrub by The Socialite’s Closet
- Hugs and Kisses Valentine’s Cupcakes by Simply Southern Mom
- Printable Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt by Mom on the Side
- Box of Chocolates Cake by Kids Fun Reviewed
- Cranberry Hootycreek – Valentine’s Day Cookies by MommaDJane
- Dark Chocolate Granola by Food Fun Family
- Valentine’s Day “Love Lives Here” Decorative House Craft by Sincerely Mindy
- Hand Sewn Valentine Cards by Beyond Mommying
- No Bake Choco-Date Cookies for Valentine’s Day by Mommy Snippets
- DIY Heart Stamp for Kids by Family Focus Blog
- DIY Peppermint Chocolate Bark Favors by A Bride on a Budget
- Day Out With Daddy Jar by Sweet Lil You
- No Sew Fringed Scarf for Him – or Her! by Style on Main
- Strawberry Shortcake in a Jar by 2Boys+1Girl=OneCrazyMom
- Valentine’s Day Oreo Hearts by Gator Mommy Reviews