The first few months with a new baby can be one of the most exhausting and difficult times in your life. You’ve completely given up your social life, you’re getting little to no sleep, and awkwardly learning how to take care of this tiny human being as you go.
While these first months are so challenging, they are also very rewarding. Bonding with your new baby is such a wonderful experience, and it is so important to fully take advantage of, and cherish these precious moments, as they fly by all too quickly.
My son is 4 months old now, and we’ve had so much fun bonding and getting to know one another. I just love it when he looks into my eyes, and gives me a great big smile. There is nothing like it! Here are some fun, and easy, ways to bond with your baby, too, in those first few months.
1. Babywearing – One of my very favorite ways to bond with my son, is by wearing him in a wrap or carrier. This way, I keep him close to my heart, and I can comfort him, kiss the top of his little head, look into his eyes, be aware of his needs, and more. Logan also weighs an impressive 20 pounds at just 4 months old, so this also helps to keep my arms from falling off while holding onto him all day!
2. Play Peek-a-Boo – Logan is now loving the game of Peek-a-Boo. His cute little face just lights right up when my hands move to expose my face. He thinks it’s the greatest thing in the world, and I have so much fun playing with him.
3. Hold Hands – Logan loves to hold my hands, when I wear him in the carrier, while I’m feeding him a bottle, while he’s sitting on the floor in front of me, and at other opportunities he gets throughout the day. He holds onto my fingers with all of his might, and hates to let go. So, I just sit there and let him hold onto them. I love knowing that he is so close to me, and doesn’t want me to leave him. Soon there will come a day when he won’t want me around so much anymore. Until then, I will cherish these days when he does.
4. Get Down on the Floor and Play – It is so much fun to get down on the floor and play with my son. He is only 4 months old, and is already pretty mobile when I lay him down on the floor. I get down on the floor with him, rolling a ball to him, or teasing him with other toys, trying to get him to inch a little closer to me. This is a really great opportunity to bond, and to develop his motor skills as well.
5. Sing a Special Lullaby – When I brought my daughter, Kayleigh, home from the hospital, I began to sing a special lullaby song to her every single night as I rocked her to sleep. She is now 2 years old, and it is still her favorite song, and she still requests that I sing it to her before bed. I have selected a different lullaby for Logan, and will do the same with him. Years from now, when they are rocking their own kids to sleep, I hope that they will think of me, and will sing their kids our special lullaby songs.
I think all of these special bonding moments help to create a #formulaforhappiness for your baby during the first few months of life.
DID YOU KNOW?
If you need additional support figuring out those challenging first few months with your new baby, Gerber Good Start® offers free appointments with a certified baby sleep consultant, nutritionist, or lactation consultant! How great is that?!
I’ll be posting some of our favorite moments of happiness over on Instagram @sincerelymindy_ over the next few weeks. I’d love to see your family’s formula for happiness, so use #formulaforhappiness to tag pictures of your tips for baby’s happiness in the first few months of life!
Do you have any special ways of bonding with your babies? Please share in the comments!