Growing up, my family ate a lot of meat and potatoes. Almost every meal consisted of meat from animals raised on our farm – chicken, pork or beef, some form of potatoes, and other fresh vegetables from our garden. My parents never strayed very far from that menu.
Meals at my best friend’s house, however, were a different story. Terri’s Mom was always making cool things like wraps, stir-fry or pasta dishes. Whenever I joined them for dinner, it was a welcome change from the usual meat and potatoes meal served at my own house.
As I was going through some of my grandmother’s recipes the other day, one in particular stood out to me. It was handwritten by Terri’s Mom – I’d know that handwriting anywhere. I recall enjoying this dish at her house a few times. Her Company Casserole Recipe was quite delicious. It’s really so simple to make, and it’s a nice change up from boring old pasta & jar sauce.
Company Casserole Recipe
- 16 oz. package of egg noodles
- 1 lb. ground hamburger
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 15 oz. can of tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown hamburg and onion in a skillet. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package instructions, until al dente, and mix cottage cheese, cream cheese and sour cream in a small bowl.
- Drain any grease from hamburger and mix with tomato sauce.
- Drain water from pasta. Layer 1/2 of the pasta in the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 baking dish.
- Then, spread the cheese mixture evenly on top of the noodles.
- Next, layer the remaining pasta on top of cheese mixture.
- Finally, spread sauce mixture on top.
- Bake uncovered in 375° for approximately 45 minutes.