John and I took Kayleigh out in the backyard for a bit yesterday to pick the wild blackberries that seem to be taking over the yard. We got quite a haul, and I really wanted to create some sort of dessert with them.
I had decided to make Wild Blackberry Pie Squares, so I got to work on putting the crust together. After I was done with that, I went to wash the blackberries. That’s when I noticed a tiny white worm munching its way through one of our beautiful berries. I picked that berry out of the bunch, hoping that was the only one, then scoured the rest of the berries very carefully. That’s when I noticed another, then another, and another.
I yelled out to John, “These berries are full of worms!!” He was so heartbroken, and so was I. Those berries looked so delicious, and I had already made my pie crust, which was just sitting there, waiting to be covered in beautiful wild blackberries.
Angrily, I tossed the blackberries in the garbage can. John knew how upset I was. I was already having a bad day, and this was just the icing on the cake. So, he offered to go to the store to get more berries. He was going out to pick up a pizza anyway, because I had burned our chicken dinner. Like I said, bad day. I also woke up this morning, COVERED in mosquito bites from our little adventure outside yesterday.
When John came back from the store, he delivered a package of blackberries, a package of raspberries and a package of blueberries to me. He said the blackberries were a bit on the expensive side, and the raspberries and blueberries were cheaper, so he just decided to get a package of each of those instead of three packages of blackberries. That was fine by me. I’ll never turn any kind of berry down!
I actually think the mixture of berries adds a depth of flavor to these pie squares, that wouldn’t be there with just a single berry. If you want to use just a single berry, that would work well too though.
Crust and Topping:
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 cup (2 sticks)cold butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup blackberries
1 cup raspberries
2 cups blueberries
4 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan.
3. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
4. Cut in 2 sticks of cold butter, and incorporate into flour mixture with a fork or pastry cutter until it’s crumbly.
5. Add egg and vanilla, and combine into flour mixture until it forms a dough-like crust mixture.
6. In a separate bowl, combine berries, 1/2 cup granulated sugar and cornstarch. You could add a little lemon juice to this for added flavor, but I didn’t have any on hand, so I didn’t.
7. Take 1/2 of your crust & topping mixture and pat it into the bottom of your greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
8. Spread berry mixture evenly over the top of the crust.
9. Sprinkle the remaining crust & topping mixture evenly over the berry mixture.
10. Bake in 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes.
These pie squares taste great all warm out of the oven, but I think they taste even better when they have been cooled in the fridge for a few hours. It also makes cutting them into squares much easier!