We’ve been on the go quite a lot this summer, and I rely heavily on my diaper bag to carry all of the supplies I need for Kayleigh. A well-stocked diaper bag is a necessity for a new Mom! Read on for a list of my diaper bag essentials. This post contains affiliate links. I may earn a commission if you make a purchase after clicking a link in this post.
Diaper Bag Essentials
1. Diapers – This is a no-brainer, but I usually keep about 10-15 diapers in my diaper bag, because Kayleigh tends to go through A LOT of them, and I want to make sure I am fully prepared. I don’t think you can ever have too many diapers on hand. I definitely don’t ever want to be in a position where she needs a diaper change pronto, and I don’t have one readily available! I love Pampers Swaddlers. They have a yellow line down the front that turns blue when it’s time for a change!
2. Wipes – Wipes go hand in hand with diapers. Not only are they necessary for messy diaper changes, but they are a great way to clean dirty hands & faces on the go too! I prefer Seventh Generation wipes. They don’t dry out quickly like some other brands of wipes I have tried.
3. Diaper Bag Dispenser – What do you do with dirty diapers on the go? Well, you certainly don’t want to leave them laying around in your car or diaper bag, especially on hot days. What a not-so-pleasant scent that would be! I love my Diaper Bag Dispenser, which dispenses scented trash bags that are the perfect size for keeping dirty diapers under wraps until I can dispose of them properly.
4. Extra outfits – Last weekend, I was at a family gathering and Kayleigh had a blowout that leaked out of the back of her diaper and onto her dress. I was very thankful for the extra outfits I keep in her diaper bag! These also come in handy for spit-up messes, and weather changes too! I usually include plenty of plain white onesies.
5. Formula and bottles filled with water – I mainly breastfeed Kayleigh, but there are times when I’m out in public and it’s just not convenient for me to whip out my breast to feed her. I keep some formula and a couple of bottles filled with purified water in my diaper bag just in case. My favorite bottles are Tommee Tippee bottles, which mimic breastfeeding.
6. Portable Changing Pad – When you need to change your baby’s diaper on the go, sometimes you have to be really creative with where you do it. On the seat of the car, on a park bench, on a picnic table, on the ground, etc. For these moments, you’ll want a portable changing pad to lay baby on while changing the diaper. And even if you’ve gotten lucky and found a bathroom with a changing station, who knows how many germs are on that thing. Always put a liner down to keep those germs off your baby!
7. Antibacterial Hand Gel – When you’re changing dirty diapers on the go, a place to wash your hands is not always available. I keep Antibacterial Hand Gel in my diaper bag, so I can clean my hands after dealing with Kayleigh’s dirty diapers.
8. A First-Aid Kit – You never know when a boo-boo might happen, so it’s best to be prepared with a well-stocked first-aid kit! This one includes plenty of different sized bandages, gauze pads, disposable tweezers, instant cold pack, antiseptic sting-free wipes, exam gloves, cotton swabs, antibiotic ointment, and more!
9. A Hat – You should always protect your baby’s delicate skin from the sun, so I always keep a hat in my diaper bag to protect Kayleigh’s head, should we find ourselves out in the sun. I love bucket style hats. They provide great coverage and Kayleigh looks so cute in them!
10. Receiving Blankets – I love receiving blankets. I have a whole stash of them, and use them all the time. They are great for cleaning up spit-up messes, for covering baby when they are cold, covering up when nursing in public, as a burp rag, and more!
So, there you have it! Those are my top 10 diaper bag essentials.