Jul 122013


This past week, John’s father and stepmother have been visiting us from Calgary.  That’s quite a trek to our state of Maine!  Because they live so far away, John hasn’t seen them in more than 20 years, and this is the first time I have ever met them.  They’ve been staying at a local campground all week, and we’ve been joining up with them in the evenings when John gets home from work.  We also spent all of July 4th and this past weekend in their company.  

So far, we’ve been having a great time with them.  We visited Bar Harbor, drove up Cadillac Mountain, took a trip to the Rockland/Camden area, ate at some local Maine restaurants, made fresh lobster rolls at home, and played board games.  A few nights ago, his parents decided they’d like to babysit Kayleigh for us so that we could have a much needed date night out.  

This was our first time leaving Kayleigh.  In fact, this was really the first time I’ve ever been more than about 10 feet away from her since she was born.  To say that I was nervous is an understatement.  I feared the worst – that they wouldn’t support her head like they should and just let it flop all around, that they would drop her, that she’d stop breathing.  Something surely would go wrong, right?  I knew this would be a rare opportunity for us to get out of the house without her though, so we took it, and I tried my best to remain calm.  

As we left, Kayleigh was quite upset.  It was so heartbreaking to leave her while she was crying, but they told us to go and they would calm her down.  She had just been changed and fed, so I knew that wasn’t the issue.  She hadn’t slept much all day, and I figured she was just overtired and would soon pass out for the night.  As we pulled out of the driveway, I fought back tears.  I already missed my little girl.  

John and I headed out to a little Vietnamese restaurant in Bangor, called Little Vietnam Restaurant and Bar.  I had never been to a Vietnamese restaurant before, and John had been there once before with some co-workers.  He enjoyed it so much that he wanted to go back, and I was in the mood to try something new.  

The menu was very interesting, and I settled on the Smoked Salmon Salad, while John ordered the Pho with Beef.  Our meals came, and John’s looked absolutely amazing.  It was a huge bowl of broth, rice noodles, thin-sliced lean beef, red onions, and shallots.  They also gave him a plate with beansprouts, basil, jalapenos and a lime wedge, as well as a super spicy sauce and a sweeter sauce on the side, so that he could add in whatever he wanted.  He dumped everything in!  


Photo Credit:  Little Vietnam Restaurant & Bar

John  let me try quite a few bites of his dish, and it was absolutely amazing.  I actually wish I had ordered the same thing.  Instead, I was pretty disappointed with my salad, which was basically a plate of smoked salmon, romaine lettuce and cilantro.  I had forgotten that smoked salmon is pretty raw tasting, and that’s not something I’m really into.  I ate as much of it as I could stomach, so as to not be rude, and then I ate off John’s dish!

After our meal, we ordered Vietnamese coffee, and a very interesting dessert called Che ba mau (rainbow dessert).

The coffee was absolutely incredible.  I had never seen anything like it before.  It came with a French press, which was set on top of a glass filled with coffee and cream, and placed inside another glass filled with hot water. 

Vietnamese Coffee

How do they get the coffee and cream to stay separated like that??  

Vietnamese Coffee

Give it a stir…

Vietnamese Coffee

This Vietnamese Coffee was different from the coffee I am used to drinking.  It was very rich, and syrupy and had to be sipped slowly.  It was more like a dessert than just a beverage.  

The Rainbow Dessert was recommended by our waitress as a great compliment to the coffee.  She was right!  She provided us with great service throughout our entire meal, and was very knowledgeable about everything on the menu. 

Vietnamese Rainbow Dessert

The Rainbow Dessert consists of layers of crushed ice, grounded peanuts, coconut milk, mung beans, grass jelly and red beans.  We were told to stir all of the ingredients together before eating it.

The thought of beans in a dessert really kind of put me off at first, but these beans were very sweet and worked well in the dessert.  It certainly was a very interesting flavor combination, and I enjoyed it.  John didn’t like the texture, so I ended up eating most of it myself.  I didn’t feel guilty though, because this was a very light dessert.  

After we wrapped up our coffee and dessert, we decided to head home.  We’d been out for a couple of hours already, and we were both missing our baby girl terribly. 

We got home, and Kayleigh was passed out in her bed.  Thank goodness!


So, John and I survived our first time leaving Kayleigh, and we had a great time! 

What did you do on your first date night without the kids?

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>