My sister’s baby shower is coming up later this month, so I’m thinking about baby shower gift ideas for her.
It’s been about 3 months since my own baby shower, so I’ve had some time to use the gifts I received, and have a good feel for what baby shower gifts are most useful for a new Mom.
People tend to give baby clothes as a shower gift, and the new Mom ends up with way more clothes than are really necessary. I think there are many other baby shower gift ideas that are a better choice. This post contains affiliate links, and I will receive compensation if you make a purchase after clicking on my links. Here’s my list of awesome baby shower gift ideas:
10 Awesome Baby Shower Gift Ideas
1. Diapers – We go through diapers like crazy in this house! Luckily, I received quite a stash of diapers at my baby shower, and haven’t had to buy any more yet.
People do tend to buy Newborn and Size 1 diapers mostly, so there is a chance Mom might end up with a lot more of one size than she needs. I would suggest buying diapers in Size 2 or larger.
I’ve had the opportunity to try several brands of diapers and my favorite diapers are Pampers Swaddlers. They fit really well, provide great protection, and they also have a yellow line down the front that turns blue when it’s time for a diaper change. I absolutely love that feature. It’s so nice knowing if her diaper is dirty or not without having to stick my finger in there.
2. Diaper Genie – Some women say this isn’t a necessary baby item, but I completely disagree! I absolutely love my diaper genie. I have it sitting right next to my changing table, and as soon as I take Kayleigh’s dirty diaper off, into the diaper genie it goes! The diaper genie keeps all of her dirty diapers right in one place, and keeps them from stinking up my house. It’s so easy to take the bag full of dirty diapers out, and replace it with a new one. Those bags hold a lot of dirty diapers too. Don’t forget to give Mom a couple of bag refills too!
3. Pacifiers – We started off with about 10 pacifiers for Kayleigh, and now we are down to 2 or 3. For some reason, the little buggers keep disappearing, and I can’t find them anywhere! Not only that, but they get dropped on the floor all the time, and sometimes it’s just easier to grab a clean one, instead of disinfecting the dirty one. Pacifiers are really great for calming a crying baby down. Kayleigh loves her pacifiers and uses them quite often. I breastfeed, and the pacifier has not turned her off from my breast at all. I’ve included this on my list of awesome baby shower gift ideas because you can never have too many of them!
4. Boppy Pillow – A boppy pillow is a great baby shower gift idea, especially for a Mom who plans to breastfeed. The boppy pillow can be used as a nursing pillow. It features a soft side and a firm side, so Mom can pick which one works best for her and baby. Later on, the boppy pillow can be used to prop the baby up. I have found it very useful for picture taking!
5. Swaddlers – Babies loved to be swaddled. It makes them feel warm & safe, just like when they were in the womb. Also, it is very dangerous to keep blankets in baby’s bed, so swaddlers are a great way to keep them warm without putting them in danger of suffocating. We have quite a few really cute swaddlers for Kayleigh and she just loves being all swaddled up!
6. Handmade Blankets – I’m not talented enough to make one myself, but if you’ve got the talent (and time), a handmade blanket is one of the best baby shower gift ideas out there. I received several handmade quilts and afghans at my baby shower, and I love them all. They are so beautiful and unique, and just knowing that someone put so much time and thought into their gift really means a lot to me.
7. Gift Cards – Gift cards are one of my top baby shower gift ideas. There are many large items that new Moms need to buy (crib, car seat, stroller, highchair, etc.), and a gift card to the store they are registered at will really help them to be able to purchase those items, without putting too much strain on their wallet.
8. Baby Books – Babies can never have too many books! I only received a few books at my shower, but I thought they were all very thoughtful gifts. John and I spent quite a bit of money ourselves adding to Kayleigh’s book collection. We read to her quite often, and will continue to do so throughout her childhood. It is so very important to read to children, and having a wide variety of books will keep it fun and interesting!
9. Wipes, Diaper Rash Cream, Bathing Supplies – Kayleigh poops… A LOT. We go through a ton of wipes. And I mean A TON. We often use 2-3 wipes per diaper change to make sure she is clean. Wipes are a really great baby shower gift idea, as are other diaper changing supplies, like diaper rash cream. Bathing supplies like body wash, shampoo, lotion, baby wash cloths and bath towels, are also really great baby shower gift ideas. A new Mom can never really have too many of these items!
10. Healthcare and Grooming Kit – A healthcare and grooming kit is also one of my favorite baby shower gift ideas. These kits come in very handy, and usually include things like a comb, brush, nasal aspirator, digital thermometer, nail clippers, alcohol wipes and more!
What are some of your favorite baby shower gift ideas?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.